Strawberry season has arrived in England and I’m greeting it with open arms (and a lot of butter).
Earlier this month, I made a chocolate-strawberry tart for Leo’s birthday. It had a crust made of two different kinds of digestives (a misleadingly healthy-sounding name for cookies), butter, a hefty layer of sweet strawberries, and a drizzle of melted chocolate. I meant to top the tart with hand-whipped cream, too, but an hour later, with an incredibly sore arm, a ton of curdled, liquidy cream (ew), and more than a little frustration, I realized I bought the wrong kind and had to scratch it.
Luckily, the cream debacle didn’t make much of a difference. The tart was still fan-freakin’-tastic, in large part because of how darn good the strawberries are right now. We ate it in the park with friends and it was messy and delicious and happy and I got a sunburn. Summer, right? Sigh.
Today I’m here to give you a recipe that’s a lot more foolproof than the little tart that caused me so much grief on Leo’s birthday. This strawberry-ginger crumble is a simple, lovely dessert that screams summer and showcases the season beautifully. I was inspired by Bon Appetit’s super-useful primer on crumbles but quickly ended up doing my own thing, with great results.
The strawberries cook down to a jammy consistency that’s perfect with the crunchy, buttery crumble topping. Fresh ginger in the filling gives it all a little aromatic zing. I like to serve the crumble with a dollop of full-fat plain yogurt, which adds a tangy richness and cuts through the sweetness of the berries. If you’re more of a vanilla ice cream person, go for it. I’ll be staying away from whipped cream for the next few millennia (I think my arm is still sore), but you do you.
- 2/3 cup oats
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter (85 g)
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Plain yogurt or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350° F / 175° C. Grease a baking dish (mine was 6.5 x 10 inches) and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, and ground ginger and mix well. Add the butter and use your hands to work it into the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the strawberries, sugar, fresh ginger, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Layer the fruit in the prepared baking dish and top with the crumble topping.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the fruit is jammy and bubbling. Let cool slightly and serve in bowls with yogurt or vanilla ice cream.